Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Big Day

My Husband drove me to my Best Friend's house so he could go back home and get the kids ready for school.  That had always been the plan, Terry would take me to the Hospital and my Parents would meet us there.  Then, Tim would come later to see me right before I went into the OR.  Since that was no longer going to be possible, we said our goodbyes in Terry's carport and Terry and I sped off into the early morning darkness.  Half way there she put the IZ/Louie Armstrong version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" on the stereo.  I will never forget it.  As I said in a previous post, it was an hour to get to the hospital.  Not once, in that drive on that morning did I worry that I might not be making the right choice.  I didn't worry that I might have a complication and I didn't worry that I wouldn't achieve my goal.  I was completely at peace.  My Mom, on the other hand was a wreck.  She was very concerned for me.  She knew that this was something I wanted and she was extremely supportive, accompanying me to every Doctor's visit, the orientation and the Nutritionist.  In fact, she and my Dad even offered to pick up the out of pocket costs associated with the surgery.  But, ultimately, I am her baby and any time your baby is at any type of risk it can be a scary day for a Mom. 

 After Terry and I arrived at the hospital, I registered and shortly thereafter, my Sister In Law arrived.  In my previous post I mentioned how she couldn't sleep either and so she decided to come to the hospital to be there for me before I headed into surgery.  My Parents arrived a few minutes after that and my round one entourage was complete.  Everyone was a little bleary eyed and we all headed down the long corridor to the Short Stay Unit.  Once I checked in there, only a few minutes passed before I had to leave my entourage behind and follow a very nice Asian nurse back into the prep area.  She had me undress and wipe my entire body down w/Antibacterial wipes.  I had to put on a hospital gown opened to the back and a shower cap type thing to hold my hair back.  I also had to put on grey hospital socks with rubber bottoms.  Soon, the nurse came back in to take my vitals and start my I.V.  I have to admit that the anticipation of the I.V. was probably the worst part of the whole ordeal.  I have the WORST veins.  They are very deep and there have been times when I have been in the hospital before that they have had to poke me 5-6 times before they get a viable vein.  Thankfully, my nurse was very gentle and skilled.  She got it on the first try and the worst part was over.  My friends and family were allowed in to see me for a few minutes before I headed into the OR.  We took a few photos.  I was trying to crack jokes and lighten the mood, especially for the sake of my Mom.    Soon, the anesthesiologist came in to introduce herself and describe what her role would be and finally, Dr Vierra came in to check with me and see if I was ready.  I was.  Kisses and Hugs and I was being wheeled down the hallway and into the OR.   It was cold in there.  Always is in the OR.  I wondered if they were going to play any music during the 1-2 hour procedure.  I remember being moved from the gurney onto the Operating table and I remember absolutely nothing else until I was waking up in my own private room after being moved from recovery at 11am.  

No comments:

Post a Comment