Friday, January 13, 2012

If The Shoe Fits...

I have no idea yet how to post pictures here so if anyone is tech savvy let me know because I already have some pretty cool before/after photos to show you.  For those of you on my Facebook you'll be able to see them there.  I am absolutely stunned at the difference 10 days has made.

Yesterday I got a great recipe thanks to my friend Melissa for a Roasted Red Bell Pepper soup.  I roasted , peeled and chopped the bell peppers for it today but I ran out of time to make it so I am going to do that tomorrow and if it turns out I will post the recipe.

I've been very thirsty the past couple days.  The first week or so I was never hungry or thirsty.  Now, I am thirsty all.the.time.  My mouth is always so dry.  I hate it.

Yesterday, I tried eating a 3 oz can of tuna, with lemon juice, salt and pepper.  I put the tuna in the magic bullet with the lemon juice to combine it and chop it up.  It was great and 18 grams of protein in that tiny can. I will probably be eating a lot of tuna as I am returning to work next week and I need something easy to eat for lunches.  I checked with my surgeon's office yesterday to find out if it was okay that I am a bit ahead of the curve on textures and whatnot and he was not concerned as long as I am tolerating it well and as long as I am making sure I get 40-60 grams of protein a day.  I have to admit, it's somewhat tough.  Today I got about 40 grams I'm guessing.  It's difficult when you aren't eating more than maybe 9 oz a day.  I try to supplement a little bit with protein drink but that stuff is so thick and makes me even more thirsty.  I have some protein powder but it's vanilla, and I am really tired of vanilla anything, so I need to get some plain tomorrow.

The big news is that tonight Terry and I went to a local bar to hear a band we love.  I actually ordered a piece of grilled tilapia and cut a very small piece off and that is what I ate.  It came with a taster of lentil soup which a dipped my spoon in and ate a tiny bit of.  I ate very, very slow.  Of course, when you eat so slow hot food is never hot anymore so that kind of sucks.  I took tiny bites of the fish and chewed it to infinity and beyond.  It didn't really sit very well.  My stomach felt like it was rumbling and I've had some gas pains tonight.  Blech.  But...I tried.  And it was nice to be out and about.

Two funny things about tonight.  Number one, when I ordered something to drink (iced tea) (way before I ordered dinner because you cannot eat and drink at the same time)  it came with a straw.  As I said before, I have been so damn thirsty that when the iced tea came I didn't even think about it and I grabbed it and took two BIG sips out of the straw.  All of a sudden I looked at Terry and panicked!  "OH NO!  I am not supposed to drink out of a straw!"  Let alone take two HUGE sips of anything!  I could feel the liquid trying to make it's way down.  Thankfully it did but it was a scary minute or two.

In better news...as we were getting dressed tonight, I went to put on my favorite shoes.  They were HUGE on me.  I looked like a little girl wearing her Mother's heels.  I could not believe it.  It's been 10 days!!  I knew this would happen eventually, but I didn't expect it to happen in 10 days.  I tried on another pair of shoes.  Same thing.  I have one pair of strappy sandals and I had to have my husband make the hole bigger on the strap so I could put it on the last one.  Excited about this development.  Gives new meaning to the term "Mama needs a new pair of shoes!"

No comments:

Post a Comment